Working Mom

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Okay, the working Mom doesn't necessarily ALWAYS mean a Mom with a paying job. I worked my buns off (I hope) today. Landon took off in the morning for his parents' house to build a work-bench with his Dad for our basement. I spent the morning cleaning the house, tending to Samuel, making him something to eat, talking him through his tantrum, got him down for a nap an hour & a half early, woke him up two hours later, worked around an even bigger tantrum than the one he had thrown earlier by getting his hair spritzed, gelled & combed, his Christmas sweater donned, and out the door were we--it's picture day! This boy of mine cold or not, tantrum or not, running late or not was getting his Christmas pictures taken if I had anything to do with it! I dropped Samuel off for his photo shoot while I watched a movie called The Science of Sleep. I was 20 minutes late. The deal was the photographer worked alongside the child-care provider & took portraits & candids. This theater is really cool--you can drop your child off for $5.00 while you watch a movie, and the child-care provider is wonderful. I'd recommend it to anyone, and I have pretty high standards. The photographer had one of the playrooms devoted to her work, and apparently, Samuel was quite the photogenic little guy. She's going to photoshop out a bruise he has on his forehead from a run-in with a wall & if there is any mucus around his nose (he is getting over a cold), she's going to erase that as well. So, I'm hoping to end up with some nice photos from all of this. After leaving, Samuel & I stopped in at a coffee shop across the street for some quiche & a pick-me-up for tired me. Then, we stopped over at Mike & Susan's so Samuel could get his new bike (early Christmas present), and I could see what Landon & Mike had been up to all day. I sounded horrible--my cold/cough is pretty bad. I don't think I've had one this bad for at least a couple of years. Anyway, we sat around & heard all about Susan's trip to the Bay area that we missed out on this year & I sipped on some egg nog & rum.

Leaving, we took two of the four boxes of china that are being given to us from Landon's Grandma Rachel. It is a full set from Czechoslovakia that were given to Rachel in exchange for cigarettes during the war. They are beautiful--33 dinner plates, salad plates, soup bowels, serving platters & bowls, dessert plates, tea cups & saucers, mini-espresso cups & saucers, and more. They've been in the family for many years, and no one else seemed to want them. Rachel can't keep them because she's in a retirement facility. I'm thrilled to have them & I plan on taking really good care of them & keeping them around for years to come. Fortunately, they all fit in a deep cupboard in our kitchen, so I can forgo the need for a buffet or hutch for a few years. I don't even know where we'd put one anyway, so at least they are in a safe place for the time being. I got the two boxes unpacked that we brought home tonight, and Mike & Susan are bringing the other two boxes over in the morning on their way to meet a friend for a hike at a state park in our neighborhood.

So...long day here in the life of a working Mom, and no, I'm not getting paid--but it's still work--hard work--nonetheless.

--Karli Posted by Picasa


2003-2017 Karli Del Biondo. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top