Monday, September 22, 2003
Kristi went to the hospital this morning to get treated with a medication that softens your cervix, and most of the time sends women into labor. At first, her blood pressure was too high, so they waited until about 11:30am to give her the first dose. Her contractions started in the afternoon, and at around 6:30pm, her water broke on its own. By 7pm, Tracy, Mike, and I arrived in McMinnville and had a big roast dinner with my family before everyone headed over to McMinnville Community Hospital. We arrived at the hospital at around 8pm, and Kristi was having contractions every 2-3 minutes. Since her water had broke, her contractions were very painful. We went back at one point around 9:30 or 10pm to see her, and she was in the middle of a contraction, and had been given a dose of pain reliever that made her very groggy, but did not do much for pain relief. By 12am, Zac came out to the waiting room and told us that Kristi had only dialated between 3-4 centimeters, and the doctors were putting a fetal monitor on the baby, because his heart rate was dropping, and he appeared to be in distress. We all decided to head home, but Mom would call us as soon as she knew anything. I got home at around 1am, but couldn't sleep because I was worried about Kristi. I finally dozed off, but at 5am, got a call from Shelly. I was so groggy I could hardly talk coherently. Shelly said that at 2:30am, the doctors had decided that if Kristi didn't dilate within 20 minutes, they were going to do a C-section, since the baby was in distress. This is where they made a super bad call. Kristi did dilate, but since they had never done an ultrasound to see how big the baby was, they had no idea that the baby was just too big for Kristi to deliver it naturally. They made a bad call, and decided to not do the C-section. By 5am, Kristi had dilated to 10 centimeters, and they had her start pushing. This is when Shelly called me. I threw on my clothes, and within 20 minutes, I was in Tualatin to pick up Tracy. By 6:30am, we were at the hospital again. Mom was in with Kristi and Zac in the delivery room, and Grandma and Shelly were in the waiting room. No one knew anything. We sat there until 8am, when we finally saw Mom and Zac appear in the waiting room. I could instantly tell by their expressions that things weren't good. Kristi had gone through hell. She pushed for 2 and a half hours, and the baby was just too big for her. Plus, the baby was in major distress during delivery, and the heart rate kept dropping. It was very difficult even delivering the baby, and they had to call an emergency to get other doctors in the room, since the baby's head was delivered with the umbilical cord wrapped around its head, but the shoulders weren't budging. When they finally got the baby out, it wasn't breathing, and 3 doctors started working on him right away. Zac told me when the baby came out, it was purple and lifeless. He said it was the scariest thing in the world. Plus, Kristi was hemorraging very badly. Doctors were working on Kristi, and the baby finally started to faintly cry. His apgar was 3. He has lots of bruises on his face and body from the delivery, but seems to be doing okay now. Kristi's recovery will be slow and painful. Unfortunately, the hospital made a big mistake by risking the baby's life and Kristi's by not doing a C section at 2am when the baby was obviously in distress. They also should have measured the baby's head and weight to determine if it was even feasible for Kristi to vaginally deliver, since she had been a borderline gestational diabetic the last trimester of her pregnancy. By 10am, we were able to go in to see Kristi, Zac, and the baby. He's a cute little guy. He looks just like Zac. He's very big. I took one look at him, and could not believe Kristi ever delivered him. His head is 14 inches in diameter. OHSU won't deliver any babies vaginally with a head circumference of more than 10 inches. I can't help thinking if Kristi had been at a different hospital, she would have received better medical care. Everyone is feeling sad about the horror of her delivery, and the fear for the babies life and Kristi's that occured during the traumatic delivery. I was crying about what Kristi had to go through. It just doesn't seem right that she should have ever had to go through that. They should have taken the baby C-section, especially since he was in distress from the cord being wrapped around his little neck.


2003-2017 Karli Del Biondo. Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top